Wednesday 19 June 2013

What is Vector Art?

Vector art is something very easy to visualise, and very hard to understand. I have read many different definitions of what vector art is and I am still finding it hard to understand myself so I am going to try and put it in the most simple way I can (and hope that I am right).

A vector is something that can only be produced by a computer. It is the space between two points, or three or four, or however many you have. For example, if you drew a square in illustrator, you would have four points. A vector is the information of where these points are in comparison to each other, so you could increase the size of the square and it would not become pixelated. If you had a picture of a square on photoshop, it would be made up of lots of small squares, and however small, eventually you could increase it to a size where you could see these individual squares (or pixels as they are called in computer world) a vector does not have pixels, it is just the space between points. The reason it has become so useful to us is so that we can create small images on computers that can be blown up to fit on huge scale things such as billboards without it looking pixelated.

After writing this I now realise why all the definitions I have read are so complicated, it is not an easy thing to describe!

No comments:

Post a Comment